February 7, 2010

Chipotle Lime Glazed Calamari


I first saw a variation of this recipe on Ezra Pound Cake (one of my all time favorite food blogs), where she makes Chipotle Lime Glazed Shrimp, which is what I made the first two times I made this recipe. The flavor combination in this glaze is out of this world. Believe me, your taste buds will do a happy dance the minute you taste this. And, get this, there isn't a drop of oil in the glaze, so it's totally fat-free - a good thing for those who care about that fat-free nonsense, but I'm pretty much on par with Julia Child when it comes to the amount of butter I use in my cooking, so fat-free isn't exactly up my alley.

But anyhoo. This glaze is phenomenal. Like I said, I made it with shrimp the first couple of times, then with chicken, then with shrimp again. I think I even did it with pork once. My point is that the glaze works with just about everything, and makes everything taste like a happy Mexican food party in your mouth.

This time I had a 1 kg bag of frozen calamari in my freezer, and I thought I'd give those a go (I used about half the bag, or a little over a pound). And these were delicious too. So apparently this glaze works with everything. Unless you don't like delicious spicy things. In which case I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

I paired this with a spicy chipotle couscous (I just added 1-2 tsp of the adobo sauce to the water for the couscous), but I'm sure you could have it with just about everything - rice, pasta, quinoa, whatever floats your boat.

Chipotle Lime Glazed Calamari
Original recipe from Ezra Pound Cake - I just substituted Calamari for Shrimp.
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds calamari rings (or shrimp, peeled and deveined)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon sugar
Glaze:
  • 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
  • 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
  • 4 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
To make the glaze: Stir together chipotle chile, adobo sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and cilantro in small bowl.

 
(I used white sugar, because I didn't have brown, and it worked, 
but not as well as the other times that I made it with brown sugar)

 (squeeze the lime juice into the sugar and stir to dissolve)

(add the chopped up the cilantro and the minced chipotle, and stir in the adobo sauce)

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until smoking, Meanwhile, toss calamari, salt, pepper, and sugar in medium bowl. Add half of calamari to the pan in single layer and cook until spotty brown and they start to become opaque, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; using tongs, flip each calamari and let stand until all but very center is opaque, about 30 seconds. Transfer calamari to large plate. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and calamari; after second batch has stood off heat, return calamari to skillet, add chipotle mixture, and toss to combine.


Cover skillet and let stand until shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately (over bed of spicy chipotle couscous.


And just for fun, put all your calamari on your fork to make a giant calamari skewer:



yum!


Like I said before, this is delicious with shrimp, calamari, chicken - whatever! So I highly suggest you make a triple batch of the glaze, and try it with all three - maybe even all for the same meal! A giant surf'n'turf of deliciois spicy chipotle lime goodness! Bon appetit!


p.s. This new kitchen might even be worse than the last one in terms of lighting, so again, excuse the crappy photo quality.

2 comments:

AVY said...

Why does the whole world have to post pictures of food when I'm this hungry!?

Dominick Bonny said...

Holy crap I'm making this! Actually I'm tweeting this @ my gf and if she doesn't make it first then I will. Cool post. Also, how did you get the sharing options in at the end of your post?