February 1, 2010

Back in the Boat

Dear readers, it seems as though we - me, and all of you, by proxy - are back in a very unfortunate boat. The apartment hunting boat... yay!

(I don't know why I'm calling it a boat. Maybe to make a mind-numbingly frustrating process seem a little more fun)

Remember, back at the end of September, when I was apartment hunting back in Rome? Well, this is now the upgraded version, apartment hunting 2.0: Madrid - harder, more expensive, and more urgent.

I think I've sent out about 30 emails, to which I've gotten fewer than ten responses (not to mention the dozens of phone calls I've made to people who place ads, but then neglect to answer their phones), out of which I've gotten approximately 5 actual apartment viewings. Out of these five, four I've already gone to (and between a room in an apartment shared with chain-smoking troll lady, or what looked like the (windowless) broom closet in a basement apartment belonging to what I can only imagine was an illegal south American immigrant, the selection has not been pretty, let me tell you) and one - hopefully more, after I make some calls - I still have to go to today.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but the guy renting out this place said February to June would be perfect, and the rent is reasonable. So I'm hoping for the best, while trying not to jinx anything b assuming it's a done deal - I tend to get irrationally superstitious when it comes to very important things.

I also have to go drop off a bunch of other C.V.s, in the hopes of getting a job a soon as possible. But I think right now I'm going to limit myself to worrying about possibly being homeless on Wednesday night. At the moment, worrying about not having a job either kind of seems like overkill.

So if you have time today, send some positive thoughts my way! :)

7 comments:

Kristi Faith said...

oh goodness! Good luck to you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :0)

Kanwalful said...

Hiya!

Goodluck with the apartment hunting. Have faith and keep looking. Eat some good food and you'll feel more positive. That's what I always do. =)

Julia said...

thanks! and no one needs to tell me twice to eat some good food! :)

Dorkys Ramos said...

Good luck with the apartment hunt! I cannot even begin to tell you how in awe I am of you and your bravery. Can't wait to read about your Spanish adventures :)

Chrissy said...

UGH. Good luck. I am also house hunting (though not so urgently) and the whole thing just stinks. Fingers crossed!!

De Lly Dilettante said...

I hope you get an apartment soon. A nice one you like.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

sending positive thoughts, yay on the apartment!