January 25, 2010

A Tardy Recap of My Cambridge Creativity

I'm sitting in my aunt and uncle's house, waiting for Valerio to come pick me up I can bring the stuff I don't need to the beach house, and pick up from there what I need for Madrid and don't have with me.* Apparently I'm only allowed to bring two 15 kg bags on this stupid Ryan Air flight, so I have to carefully consider what I can and cannot take. Going through my luggage, I found a couple of things I made while I was at home over the holidays, and I thought I'd share them  here. I made some other stuff too, which I left in Cambridge, but these were the two things I sewed which are my favorites, especially because the item of clothing is what made me realize how easy it is to sew if you have a pattern (I'm not sure how I imagined people sewed things without patterns, but I guess I didn't really think about it before I started zipping away on the little Singer), and how easy it is to see something I like and imagine making it for myself.

I really liked the Buttercup bag I made before, but I wanted something a little roomier. So I modified the pattern to make a bigger bag, and I reduced the number of pleats to just one center pleat:







I found this fabric at one of my two new favorite fabric stores in Cambridge, "Sewfistication" (I kid you not), and only after buying it did I realize that it was reversible (the other side was green spirals on a blue background, instead of blue on green), which gave me the idea for the contrasting top pieces and strap:



(sorry for the crappy photo quality)


And I couldn't decide on a complimentary color for a lining, so I finally decided to go with contrasting, and found a lovely chocolate satin for the inside.




But the Pièce de Résistance is my cape, made with a lovely grey and aubergine tweed I accidentally stole from my mom's New Year's party found.



It's actually a piece of clothing I'll probably wear often (unlike the skirt I made - also from "found" fabric - that I need to make a few adjustments to before it fits well - photos when I finally can wear it without looking lumpy), because it's cute, warm, and sort of funky!





And I lined it was a very pretty silver satin, that works beautifully with the grey in the fabric.




This cape was actually surprisingly easy to make, but only after I figured out how to add in the lining myself - which the original pattern doesn't call for (it suggests using interfacing around the collar and front opening). But I thought it needed a lining, both esthetically and because the tweed was itchy. It's essentially a giant cloth circle with a hole and a slit. A pretty easy concept. If anyone is interested in the pattern, let me know and I can send you the link or pdf file! I think it was a freebie from Bruda.

Ok, well I have to get packing - I have a flight to Madrid tomorrow morning at 6:25! Yay! I guess I'm nearing the moment when my "upcoming stint in Madrid" goes from tentative to current!




p.s. I know it's high time I give you a recipe post, but after all the frantic cooking I did over the Holidays at home with my Mom (for which I often and stupidly forgot to take pictures) I'm not going to have a kitchen for my very own for a bit. But I promise that as soon as I get settled in Madrid I'll whip up something (maybe some Tapas? Very geographically appropriate) and post about it!

*That was actually yesterday morning, and I've really been writing this post since Saturday, but I haven't gotten around to posting it until now.

4 comments:

Rose said...

JULIAAAA

You are so crafty! I like the things you have made. I hope that your trip to Madrid went well! Also, have you travelled much on Ryanair? How is it?
:)

Chrissy said...

I love that bag! Sewing is on my list of things to learn how to do (not-crappily). Anyway, love the pattern, shape, and style. Impressed!

That Kind of Girl said...

Oh my gosh, I am drooling over that cape! So stylish!

Sam said...

Wow, you made that?? That is crazy! You are great!