December 9, 2009

The Day the Sewing Machine Saved the World

If only I had had a little faith yesterday. If only I'd waited a bit before getting all discouraged!

Sewing machines are glorious! And the only hard part is looping the thread through all the places it has to go before the needle. But after that it is a piece of cake. A cake walk. Easy as pie. And all other weird dessert-related expressions denoting ease (although whoever came up with those expressions obviously never baked a pie from scratch!)

I made a bag. And if you don't stare for too long, it almost looks, dare I say it... professional! There are no errant stitches, no mismatched edges, and no jagged cuts. But I won't ask you to trust me. See for yourself!


 My first sewing machine project


A (blurry) close up of my handiwork



The adorable contrasting lining

Not bad, eh? The pattern is très cute, although I'm not that into super colorful purses. But this one will make a lovely gift. Plus the lining was this slippery silky material that I totally could have messed up in the sewing machine, but didn't. So all in all, it was a good first try.


13 comments:

Kristi Faith said...

Fabulous purse!! My daughter would Love, L O V E something like that. Alas, I do not sew...I tried curtains, small ones, and even with the machine, well, they aren't hanging anywhere. LOL
Good Job!

De Lly Dilettante said...

Ooo congrats. It's lovely. If you make more, I'm sure you can sell them. They are so cute!

Julia said...

Kristi - I'm sure if you gave it another go you could do it! Believe me, I've made disasters on the sewing machine, too, but it really helps to have a pattern!

De Lly - Unfortunately it was a free pattern whose use precluded any sale of the pattern or of the resulting bags made. But it'll work just fine as a gift :)

Desiree said...

What a great bag, and congrats on this being your first go! Maybe one day I'll try that whole sewing thing, one day... :-)

amy said...

Oh my! That is sooooo cute! :)

Loys said...

You used a sewing machine for the first time and the purse looks like this? Wow, I'm impressed! I really like the purse. Well done!

WhimsAndInconsistencies said...

It looks fabulous!

♥ Katinka said...

This is SO cute :)

De Lly Dilettante said...

Hi Julia.

That's a pity...but I guess it's because the pattern is free. But I'll envy whoever gets it from you as a gift :D

By the way, you've won an award for your amazing blog. You can view it here

Britt said...

It's beautiful!! I can't wait to get a new sewing machine :)

Elizabeth said...

I cannot believe this is your first project! I am super impressed :)

Julia said...

thanks for all the lovely encouraging comments! I got a second wind and after a very interesting trip to the fabric store, I bought more materials to make more purses! I'll show you the end results, but I promise that this wont turn into a sewing blog :)

Kate said...

very impressive!