November 12, 2009

Reflections on Grad School Applications

This morning I finally took the time I needed to battle it out with Minerva (no, not the goddess, but rather the wittily named students records system at McGill) and send out my McGill transcript to all seven of my potential grad schools. It's official. In 3-5 days they will all have my official university records - the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm banking on the fact that my (hopefully) stellar GRE scores and my wonderful personality and relevant life experience will distract them from the occasional blemish on the first couple of years of my transcript. (If not, I'll have to resign myself to teaching English as a Second Language for the rest of my life). Now I just have to gently cajole my third "recommender" into sending in her letter on time, and then start dealing with the avalanche of forms and mind-numbing paper work that needs to be filled out for each school. And then I get to write all my statements of purpose. Tailoring the same essay about why this particular program is perfect for me, for each school, is kind of a chore, but it's certainly doable. The only annoying thing is having to do it seven times. But I guess I kind of brought that on myself, didn't I?

Either way, I think that I'm at a good half way point, and the process isn't looking as scary anymore. Although I had completely forgotten what a travail is to apply to schools. Granted the first time around I was applying from home, with the help of my parents and all of my friends who were in the same boat, and my only full-time job was high school (hardly a job). Now I'm doing it on my own, on the other side of an ocean from all the relevant action (parents, schools, friends), while juggling two jobs and getting ready to move again. It's a little trickier than seven years ago, but it's definitely good life practice (for dealing with bureaucracy and deadlines). At least everything is online this time.

Needless to say, I'll be glad when it's over.


p.s. On a completely unrelated note, I was just browsing some new food blogs (I discovered that looking at them after lunch was the best solution to insane need to go out and buy the ingredients for everything I see and start to crave when I end up on a food blog on an empty stomach) and I discovered Ezra Pound Cake. Maybe I didn't have a filling enough lunch (cream of porcini soup), or maybe these recipes are just too amazing. But I started craving each and everyone one, even though I'd just eaten! I think the focus is on southern style food - there were southern specialties like Charleston Shrimp and Grits and Southern Comfort Pecan Pie - but also a less-traditional sounding Harvest Pear Crisp with Candied Ginger and other delicious recipes. If you are hungry, or want to be, I highly suggest making this amazing food blog your first stop. Delicious.

1 comment:

amy said...

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for your comment! :)

My new obssession with polka dots started quite recently. Now I want everything in polka dots! :)

I'm in love with your blog background! So Cute!

Can't wait to read more of your blog.

PS. I'm so jealous that you are in Italy right now.