November 7, 2009

I Miss the Daylight

I'm not happy about daylight savings. It was two weeks ago here, and for two weeks I have been so out of it. Before, I could easily count on my day going on until 8, or at least 7:30. And then, seeing the sun go down, my body would be like, hey, it's getting to be night time, why don't we get hungry and tired. Which was fine if it was 7:30 or 8. A perfect time to get hungry for dinner and tired.

But then daylight savings happened.

Pretty much around the same week that the sun decided to start setting sooner. So instead of setting at 6:30 (an hour earlier, after daylight savings) for some inexplicable reason, it's now setting at 5:30. And this all happened so quickly that my body still associates sundown with being tired and hungry. The result? In the middle of all my lessons I started getting tired. I go home and have dinner at 7, like an old and/or British person, and then I'm all confused.

I'm not happy about this.

It was so lovely to drive home from work in the warm autumn sunlight. Now, more often than not, I'm driving home in cold dark winter rain. Decidedly less pleasant. And I know, season change, it gets colder, it's part of the cycle of nature, blah blah blah.

But I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep blaming  this on daylight savings.


3 comments:

Kate said...

It's nice to have the sun be up by the time I leave the house, but it sucks to come home and it's already dark at 4:30. :(

It's gotta get worse before it gets better!

Andhari said...

seeing that I live around the equator in Asia where we basically have 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night, i don't think we have daylight saving over here. Is it true it can make you feel really restless?

Kate said...

Andhari, it can be a big shift. I grew up in western Canada at about 52 degrees north, so we'd go from sunup at 5am and down at 10:30pm in the summer to sunup at 8:30am and down at 4pm in the winter.

A lot of people get Seasonal Affective Disorder really badly here, I've heard it called "the black hole of winter".