November 10, 2009

On a Date with Myself

Hallelujah. Praise the lord. The rain has stopped. At least for now. And I'm not prone to spontaneous religious exclamations, so that should show you how happy I am.

After about ten days of on and off torrential downpours, the sun has come out and lasted for longer than 20 minutes. And, it just so happens that last week's impromptu day off has become a sort of weekly re-occurrence. Well, not entirely - I did go to UNICEF this morning. But I don't have any lessons on Tuesdays, and that gives me the whole afternoon off.

With no specific plans for today, I was going to just go home to a steamy plate of Gnocchi Gorgonzola for lunch (don't worry, I'll have it for dinner and share the recipe for all you gourmands) and bum around the house doing laundry. But then this morning, while I was still asleep and in no state to comprehend anything, my roommate called from work and asked me if I could bring her her lunch, which she had forgotten at home. Before I knew what I had agreed to (or been manipulated into, in my impressionable sleepy state), I was assuring her I would be there by two.When I regained my senses (read: actually woke up) I was none too happy about having to haul myself across town, until I looked outside and saw what a gorgeous day it was turning into. And luckily, my roommate works in the historic center, so I thought I would take advantage of my little trip downtown to get outside and take a walk and maybe let out my cooped up inner photographer.


Which is what I ended up doing after bringing my roomie her lunch - I took myself on a little date down town. Of course, as soon as I parked my scooter it started getting chilly and overcast - just my luck - but I wandered around Fontana di Trevi and the Quirinale area and captured some Roman moments. I won't overload you with images, like in Weekly(ish) Photo Essay: La Dolce Vita, but I'll include a few shots.




I really wish the sun had stayed out though. My date with myself would have been more pleasant. I wanted to buy myself an ice cream, but then I didn't want to eat it in the cold. So myself and I wrapped up our little outing and came home to some left over pumpkin fudge and a cup of tea. All in all, a not too shabby way to spend an afternoon off.

4 comments:

ohhayitskk said...

gnocchi gorgonzola? now i'm starving and missing rome.

De Lly Dilettante said...

Oh I like the first shot with the street lamp and its shadow.

Julia said...

thanks! the street lamp just looked so beautiful in the sun! And don't worry, the gnocchi are coming soon! recipe, pictures and everything!

Organic Meatbag said...

I went on a date with myself once, but then I realized that I really was annoyed by my constant need to talk about Pilgrims...