October 16, 2009

Mental Health Morning


 watercolor by vivstrauss

So I guess I kind of got my wish from the other day: I finagled a sort of mental health morning. It hasn't really been a morning off, since I've been planning lessons, but it did involve streamed videos - back episodes of Boston Legal (oh, how I'll miss you Alan Shore) - and steamy hot beverages (although I made do with tea instead of Ovaltine). The upside is that it's almost 1 pm and I'm still in my pyjamas. I do have to work at 3, but until I have to leave the house, I can dilly dally all I want.

So of course the first place I go when I want to get distracted is the vintage section of etsy. It's sort of like virtual retail therapy. I get to see all the pretty things, and think about what I would do with them, but I never buy them. Aside from the fact that I'm very aware that I could never afford all of the beautiful things I want, I'm further impeded by the fact that it's all online, and given my horrible experience with shipping things to Italy, I've come to learn the hard way that sometimes it's better to just window shop.

So I look at this delicious 1950s apron:


click here for listing

And the beautiful Roman Holiday dress:


(sold - boo)

And this sweet 1960s pitcher:


click here for listing


And think, Ah, so many pretty things, so much wishing.

And so many delicious things, like earl grey white chocolate cookies:

click here for listing

And pumpkin fudge:

 click here for listing

 What fun it is, wasting time in the bottomless hole of procrastination, that is the interweb. It almost makes me want to forget about grad school and starting working from home, selling baked goods and found vintage items online. Although I'm pretty sure that would get old after about a minute. Perhaps it's better if I stick to my original plan and just call today what it really is, a mental health morning. Now back to the real world.

No comments: