October 18, 2009

I Occasionally Like to Make Lists: Top Ten Things I Like (Or Think I Would Like) To Eat When The Weather Gets Cold

Between the end of September, when summer is still flirting with you, and the end of October, when Halloween is barely over and the Christmas decorations are already all over the stores, a sort of change starts to take place - the days get shorter, the weather gets colder, the leaves turn brown and crispy, back-to-school/back-to-work glee turns to crap-it's-monday-again gloom. Some call it Fall, or Autumn. I like to call it "Get ready for winter people! Eat! Eat!" And in that spirit (which completely goes against the spirit of my current get-back-into-shape routine), here are some of my favorite ways to "get ready for winter":



1. All Things Pumpkin (take your pick), but especially Heidi Swanson's Spice-Kissed Pumpkin Pie With Hazelnut Lined Crust, which I like to make the mini version of.
2.Award Winning Chocolate Chip Cookies warm and gooey from the oven.
3. Vichyssoise, the hot wintery version.
4. Oven Roasted Pork Ribs with my special Rosemary Potatoes (no link to this one, it's in my head!)
5. Classic Italian Minestrone, with big beans and lots and lots of grated Parmiggiano Reggiano.
6.  Minty Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies, which I haven't tried yet, but only because my oven doesn't work - I'm dying to try these cute little babies.
7. Baby Lima Bean Soup with Chipotle Broth, although I didn't have baby lima beans, so I made it with cannelini, and it was just as good.
8. Tom Yum Green Curry Coconut Chicken Soup (also just in my head, although you can probably find a recipe somewhere)
(these last two spicy numbers are great on the days when the cold is particularly penetrating, and if you have a cold they'll just clear up all the congestion - great for fall flu) 
9. Poached Pears in Red Wine, delicious and aromatic, perfect to end a romantic dinner on a cold winter evening.
10. Maple-Roasted Acorn and/or Butternut Squash, so simple yet so yummy

No comments: