October 25, 2009

I Occasionally Like to Make Lists: 10 Ways to Get Over Post-Exam Withdrawal - Part I

Since I finished the exam yesterday (yay!) I've had this nagging feeling that I should be doing something, even though I don't actually have anything to do. It's pretty normal since all I've been doing in the last two weeks is studying, so I guess I'm going through classic post-exam withdrawal  - lingering feelings, after a period of constant intense work, that whenever you aren't actively being productive you should be doing something productive (I experienced a lot of it at university, especially after finals). Since I'll have to be back in "productive mode" by November (writing essays for grad school apps), I figured I'd take advantage of this in-between week I have off to have some relaxing fun (including any Halloween festivities, although I have no plans yet), and I can't have any post-exam withdrawal hindering my worry-free week. So I figured I would think of  things I've been wanting to do, but haven't had the time, all of which will hopefully also be a way to get over this nagging feeling and get to enjoy my free time:



1. Go running more. Everyone says exercise is a great way to get rid of stress and feel better in general, but it's just so hard to get motivated. Once I'm outside running, it's not that bad, but it's making the time psychologically, especially when I could be doing something much lazier, like reading in bed. But all that changes when you have a beautiful park to run it. Before, I just ran on the bike path next to four lanes of traffic. Here I have two beautiful, green parks surrounding beautiful mansions (including Villa Torlonia - Mussolini's former home), where the city and its smog seem so far away. And I have to say, it is pretty relaxing.
Mussolini's Digs
(courtesy of achimagazine)

2. Start cooking again. I feel like every meal I've had in the last two weeks has come out of my freezer. I'm sick of it. I can't wait to make a stop at the farmer's market, pick up some delicious freshly harvested autumn veggies (read: pumpkin) and get cracking in the kitchen again. My efforts will be severely limited by the fact that I don't have a working oven (cheap landlady), but that just means I'll have to get creative with the stove top. Hm, maybe something like...


3. Read a book. I spent all summer reading. After I came back from Boston in June, I must have gone through something like twelve novels in the two months after (at the beach house, I was going through a book in a day and a half). And then September came I just stopped. Maybe because I started working again, maybe because I had finished all the interesting looking books and nothing inspired me. But the fact is I need to get reading again. Any suggestions? One of my summer favorites was Julie&Julia, and I can't wait to see the movie!

4. Go the see Alexander Calder show in Rome. I just saw it on the side of a bus, so I don't know where or when it is, but I can't wait to go see all the mobiles and the little circus if they have it!



5. Go back to Fata Morgana, It's an amazing gelato shop that's right near my new apartment (within walking distance actually, so I can burn off the calories of all the ice cream I'm going to be eating there) and they have the most amazing and original flavors, that change on a regular basis. Flavors include tobacco chocolate (kentucky blend) and wasabi chocolate, which I haven't tried, and pumpkin, which I obviously have tried, and a bunch of others I can't remember, but will update you on once I go again! I'll also be making comparisons to Gelato San Crispino, the other best gelato place in Rome, that features original flavors such as bergamot, honey, and caramel meringue. yum.

I'll stop at five things for now, mostly because it's almost 2 am and I need to get some shut eye before work tomorrow morning, and because my creative juices are ebbing, so I'll probably have some better ideas in the morning. Feel free to suggest fun things for me to do this week! In the mean time, good night, and stay tuned for Part II!

No comments: