October 15, 2009

Begrudgingly Welcoming Winter

It first dawned on me this morning when my alarm went off at 8:30 but I didn't get out of bed until 9:20 - it's damn cold! At first it didn't seem logical. It's only October 15. Even in Montreal, where record low temperatures reached -59° C (that's -77° F!) the first winter I was there, October was still considered neutral territory between summer and winter. Granted it started snowing on Halloween that year, but (with a little liquid courage) it was still warm enough for a skimpy halloween costume. Here in Rome I probably won't see any snow this winter - although I've seen more hail in the last 2 years than in the whole 22 previous years of my life - but it's still damn cold for the middle of October!




OK, maybe not that cold. But this morning it took me a good hour to gather up the courage to take off my pyjamas and get into my clothes. And then even with stockings under pants, and a tank top under a cashmere sweater, and everything topped off with a wool coat and a pashmina, I was still cold! It isn't the cold per se which irks me, but the fact that I'm not psychologically prepared for it. Last year in October I was still doing beach weekends, and now I'm wearing scarves and gloves? What the hell is going on, atmosphere? It doesn't help that my scooter doesn't have a windshield, a fact which makes even the warmest summer breeze seem like a siberian windstorm when I exceed 40 km/h. I  set up my Toucano (a sort of rain-proof wind-blocking lap blanket for scooters) a couple of days ago. But the first winter I was here I recieved it as a Christmas gift, and didn't set it up until the last week of December. And I don't even want to think about how I survived November and December without it. Either I've been majorly pussyfied by Rome's mild climate over the past two years, or old Mother Nature is up to some nasty tricks. I guess I just have to resign myself to the fact that summer is officially over, and there are no more beach weekends in store for me this year.


October 2007 Beach Weekend


Either way, the last thing I want to be doing right now is scootering around the city to and from lessons. I'd much rather be taking a mental health day, curled up in bed in my flannel jammies with a steamy mug of Ovaltine (oh, childhood!) streaming episode after episode of Desperate Housewives, which I've recently discovered is shamefully addictive (I know, I know, I'm waay late to get on the bandwagon). Luckily the weekend is near, and Saturday I've made plans to not be cold. And if that means never getting out of bed, so be it.

No comments: